• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Innocent Spouse Relief

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mom6399

What is the name of your state? Ga

My ex-husband was awarded federal and state (Minnesota at the time) tax liabilities in our divorce decree for a tax debt incurred as a result of cashing bonds (purchased by his grandmother in her and his names) after her death and not reporting the income on our joint return in 2000. MY tax return was taken this year to pay toward the federal debt, Minnesota honored the divorce decree. I have been in contact with the IRS since learning of this debt 3 years ago, was told our accounts had been severed and have received my tax returns until this year. What is the likelihood I will qualify for Innocent Spouse Relief? I've complete Federal forms 12510 and 8857 and provided a copy of the decree. Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

S

seniorjudge

mom6399 said:
What is the name of your state? Ga

My ex-husband was awarded federal and state (Minnesota at the time) tax liabilities in our divorce decree for a tax debt incurred as a result of cashing bonds (purchased by his grandmother in her and his names) after her death and not reporting the income on our joint return in 2000. MY tax return was taken this year to pay toward the federal debt, Minnesota honored the divorce decree. I have been in contact with the IRS since learning of this debt 3 years ago, was told our accounts had been severed and have received my tax returns until this year. What is the likelihood I will qualify for Innocent Spouse Relief? I've complete Federal forms 12510 and 8857 and provided a copy of the decree. Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks
Sounds like you're doing the right things.

mom6399

Thank you. The IRS guy on the phone told me Innocent Spouse Relief is almost never granted. Do you know if this is true?

S

seniorjudge

mom6399 said:
Thank you. The IRS guy on the phone told me Innocent Spouse Relief is almost never granted. Do you know if this is true?
I do not know if that is true or not.

I do know that if you want something from the IRS that you have to keep trying and do not give up.

Call your congresshuman.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">