• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insolvency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hanjenden

What is the name of your state? AK

When filing a joint return, can one spouse claim insolvency in regard to forgiven debt without the joint filer also claiming insolvency? Also, if we both claim insolvency, what happens to our tax deductions? My husband has a rental property that he plans on selling later this year. Thanks

Snipes5

That depends on whose debt it is. Claiming insolvency is also a bit complicated. It is helpful if the potentially insolvent person is in bankruptcy.

Snipes

hanjenden

It was my debt, not my husbands. I settled with two of my creditors in order to avoid bankruptcy. My husbands name was in no way connected to the debt. Thanks for the response.

Snipes5

In that case it would probably be in your best interest to file "Married Filing Separately" on the return which includes the debt cancellation.

I'm hoping your husband's name isn't listed on the cancellation documents. If it is, it's joint income.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">