• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are insurance disbursements taxable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2$phil

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida

I had a water line break in my house recently that caused considerable damage.
My insurance company sent me two checks. One for repairs to the house, the other for replacements of a few contents and exspenses for moving out while house is repaired.
My question is whether that money is taxable or not? :confused:
I plan on doing some of the repairs myself, but they won't be done until after the holidays and when hardwood floors comletely dry out.
I have been to the IRS web site ( like reading chinese math ) and am more confused now, than I was when I set out to gather info on the subject.
I believe it was pub 547 on casualties and losses that i was reading.
Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance! 2$

abezon

The insurance checks are compensation for damages to your home. Therefore there is no gain & no taxable income. Whether you make repairs or not is up to you.

shortbus

In general, abezon is correct, ins co payments are not taxable.

However, if you take a casualty loss deduction for some part of the loss, then THAT part of the ins reimbursement IS taxable. You can't "double dip".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">