• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interest on a mortgage Loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cjrsktr

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas
We have an "Owner Financed" mortgage that we pay to someone who also has a mortgage on the same property. I know she is writing off the interest she pays on her note. I was wondering if I can write off the interest I pay to her on my federal return. :confused:

Snipes5

Yes. You will need her name, address, and SSN. She should be claiming the interest she is receiving from you, on her Schedule B.

Snipes

Gracie3787

Yes. You will need her name, address, and SSN. She should be claiming the interest she is receiving from you, on her Schedule B.

Snipes
I know this thread is a year old, but I wanted to ask a question about your answer to this poster.

I have the name, address, and business name of the man who we pay our mortgage to, but do not have his SSN. If he refuses to disclose his SSN, what, if anything, can I do to be able to deduct the interest on federal taxes.
Gracie:)

LdiJ

I agree with Tranquility....however, this is another one of those situations where you can also file a paper return and omit the SSN number of the person you are paying.

You would simply need to include a statement that the person refuses to cooperate and provide their SSN number. The IRS may ask you for a copy of your purchase/land contract or other proof that you are paying mortgage interest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">