• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interstate tax levy collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tedkolb

California & Hawaii

Aloha, your help will be greatly appreciated.

We are in disagreement with the California Franchise Tax Board as to our 2004 tax liability. In addition we moved from California to Hawaii in 2005 and have since established Hawaii as our state of permanent residence and have moved all financial holdings to Hawaiian chartered banks. We have been notified by the California FTB that their next step is to place a tax levy on our accounts.

My question is whether the California FTB has the power to cross state borders to place tax levys on accounts not held within the state of California?

Mahalo

LdiJ

California & Hawaii

Aloha, your help will be greatly appreciated.

We are in disagreement with the California Franchise Tax Board as to our 2004 tax liability. In addition we moved from California to Hawaii in 2005 and have since established Hawaii as our state of permanent residence and have moved all financial holdings to Hawaiian chartered banks. We have been notified by the California FTB that their next step is to place a tax levy on our accounts.

My question is whether the California FTB has the power to cross state borders to place tax levys on accounts not held within the state of California?

Mahalo
Yes, they can. Its best to be proactive about getting the issue resolved.

tranquility

Yes they do and can. We had a cilent with most of her assets in AZ. Her mail was not properly forwarded and she never got notice of a minor (a couple of hundred dollars) error in her state taxes. The FTB (CA) put a levy on an account of over $60,000 and we got a call the next day, "I..I...I am penniless." from the client.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">