• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Investment property impact on first time home buyer credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

milliamp

State of PA here.

I have owned a small camp that I purchased 4 years ago and I rent out but it was purchased as an investment property.

I recently purchased my first home/primary residence, does owning the investment property exclude me from the first time home buyers credit?

The limitation seems related to what one has as a residence and not what one can potentially claim as a residence. I think you are correct based on what facts you have provided.

milliamp

I purchased my home in July of 08, should I have gotten the credit?
I also refinanced it in Oct of 09 for a lower interest rate if that matters.

If I should have gotten the credit, can I file an amendment to my taxes?

FlyingRon

Refi's don't count.

The 1 Jan 2009 and later $6500 tax credit is strictly a credit, it needs not be repaid.

The April 2008 - 1 Jan 2009 $7500 credit, that you would presumably be entitled to, does need to be repaid 1/15th at a time, interest free, over the next 15 years.

Here are the other disqualifiers:

Your income exceeds the phase-out range. This means joint filers with MAGI of $170,000 and above and other taxpayers with MAGI of $95,000 and above.
You buy your home from a close relative. This includes your spouse, parent, grandparent, child or grandchild.
You stop using your home as your main home.
You sell your home before the end of the year.
You are a nonresident alien.
You are, or were, eligible to claim the District of Columbia first-time homebuyer credit for any taxable year.
Your home financing comes from tax-exempt mortgage revenue bonds.
You owned another main home at any time during the three years prior to the date of purchase. For example, if you bought a home on July 1, 2008, you cannot take the credit for that home if you owned, or had an ownership interest in, another main home at any time from July 2, 2005, through July 1, 2008.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">