• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IRA: roth or traditional

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daria26

What is the name of your state? NJ

I make 27,000 a year I want to open an IRA account. How does that work? What is Roth? What is better for my income? Where can I find a higher rate? Thank you!

Some Random Guy

The difference between a Roth and traditional IRA is when you pay the taxes.

With a Roth IRA, you put in money that you have already paid taxes on, and then when you go to take your money out for your retirement, you don't pay taxes on the money you put in or on any of the interest.

With a traditional IRA, you put in your money and deduct that from your income on your tax return. This meant that the money in your IRa is not taxed yet. Then, when you retire, you pay taxes on everything you take out of the IRA as if it was current income.

Which is better depends on a lot of details, but I would look into a Roth since your average tax rate now may be a lot lower than when you retire - especially if you thing you will be making more money in the future, or if the US needs to raise its tax rates to pay down its massive debts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">