• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IRS Claiming I didn't pay State Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nathank_1980

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

In 2010 I worked for two large universities in Indiana. These universities took off all the normal federal, state, and local taxes from my paychecks. I filed taxes as usual. In June I received an audit notice from the IRS. They claim to have no record of me paying any taxes in 2010, and they now require me to pay them the total amount of taxes, plus a penalty, plus an additional fine that accrues interest. I supplied them with a certified letter, my tax returns, my W2's, etc. which clearly indicate that I paid my taxes in full. I have the receipt showing that they signed for these materials from the USPS on June 10th, 2010. However, they ignored all my materials and sent a response to me this past week stating that I still owed them the money plus the penalty, plus the (now larger) interest amount. I paid these taxes already! It's obvious on my W2's! I also have had no luck contacting anyone at the IRS that cares or is willing to help me with this matter that will take 10 seconds to fix. What should I do? Do I need a lawyer to bark a little louder to force the IRS to pay attention to me? Is there someone else at the IRS I should contact? This is causing me a great deal of stress. I'm an honest, law abiding taxpayer and this is what I get? USA...

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

In 2010 I worked for two large universities in Indiana. These universities took off all the normal federal, state, and local taxes from my paychecks. I filed taxes as usual. In June I received an audit notice from the IRS. They claim to have no record of me paying any taxes in 2010, and they now require me to pay them the total amount of taxes, plus a penalty, plus an additional fine that accrues interest. I supplied them with a certified letter, my tax returns, my W2's, etc. which clearly indicate that I paid my taxes in full. I have the receipt showing that they signed for these materials from the USPS on June 10th, 2010. However, they ignored all my materials and sent a response to me this past week stating that I still owed them the money plus the penalty, plus the (now larger) interest amount. I paid these taxes already! It's obvious on my W2's! I also have had no luck contacting anyone at the IRS that cares or is willing to help me with this matter that will take 10 seconds to fix. What should I do? Do I need a lawyer to bark a little louder to force the IRS to pay attention to me? Is there someone else at the IRS I should contact? This is causing me a great deal of stress. I'm an honest, law abiding taxpayer and this is what I get? USA...
Are we talking about the IRS or the Indiana Department of Revenue?

I am going to assume that you mean the Indiana Department of Revenue since you mentioned state taxes.

The Indiana Department of Revenue is notoriously slow in processing anything they receive by mail. It takes them months to process an amended return and they are going to treat the stuff you mailed to them as an amended return since you sent another copy of your tax return, and that is going to make a little bit of a mess.

I suggest that you hightail it to a local tax professional. (not a tax attorney, not a CPS, and not someone from a national chain. Find a local office that is open year round.) They can help you straighten this out.

What you should have done was simply send back a copy of the original letter you recieved from them, a note from you, and copies of your W2s. However, since you included a copy of your tax return, it will be a little more complicated now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">