• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IRS collection policies....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Indiana, tho this question refers to a tax matter from 11 years ago when I was a resident of Georgia.

I rec'd a call on Oct. 21 from some sort of a collection agency telling me they had been hired to collect past due state (Ga) taxes I owed from 1994. After a few minutes of questioning the caller, who claimed I owed about 400.00 in 1994 GA state taxes, I told the caller to please send me the necessary documentation and I would then promptly submit my payment.

I have yet to recieve any mail from this person.

My questions are:

1. Does the IRS, or, in this case, the state of Georgia, hire outside collection agencies to collect so-called back taxes?? AND

2. Since I HIGHLY suspect my ex-wife to be behind this ( I FEEL) bogus call in the first place, have there been any reports of a scam of this nature?

thanx, THUMBELINA

ps.... I have a copy of my 1994 state taxes and I actually DID file, recieving an 82.00 refund.

seniorjudge

Thumbelina58 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Indiana, tho this question refers to a tax matter from 11 years ago when I was a resident of Georgia.

I rec'd a call on Oct. 21 from some sort of a collection agency telling me they had been hired to collect past due state (Ga) taxes I owed from 1994. After a few minutes of questioning the caller, who claimed I owed about 400.00 in 1994 GA state taxes, I told the caller to please send me the necessary documentation and I would then promptly submit my payment.

I have yet to recieve any mail from this person.

My questions are:

1. Does the IRS, or, in this case, the state of Georgia, hire outside collection agencies to collect so-called back taxes?? AND

2. Since I HIGHLY suspect my ex-wife to be behind this ( I FEEL) bogus call in the first place, have there been any reports of a scam of this nature?

thanx, THUMBELINA

ps.... I have a copy of my 1994 state taxes and I actually DID file, recieving an 82.00 refund.

Remove your advertising and I will answer your question.

WHAT ADVERTISING????????

I'm here for ONE reason.... I have a legal question.. I need an answer.....

I don't want to "advertise" for anyone. I'm not even TRYING to advertise for anyone....

Thanx

seniorjudge

Thumbelina58 said:
WHAT ADVERTISING????????

I'm here for ONE reason.... I have a legal question.. I need an answer.....

I don't want to "advertise" for anyone. I'm not even TRYING to advertise for anyone....

Thanx
Your advertising was removed but not by you.

abezon

Since you have proof that you filed a tax return in 1994, the state probably only had 3 years to challenge anything on it. Consult a local tax pro for help drafting a letter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">