• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Irs cp2000

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vwrabbit6

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
In 2008, I used the Small Claims Court system and I won the case from the defendant ($6000.00). I received the money already ($6000.00) and now in April 2010 I find out Uncle Sam wants 39% of this money. This was a case that I was seeking restitution of my own money, so this was neither an award nor income(so that is why I did not report this as income), because I just recovered money that was mine in the first place. So my question is: Why, when, and how does this happen, or should this even happen? Is it routine or legal for the judgement debtor to make the judgement creditor(me) fill out a 1099-misc form ? In this case I'm just receiving my own money back,NOT income,in this small claims case. So how does a 1099-misc apply to this situation, if at all?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">