• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IRS and Deportation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annon

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hi

I am subject to deportation from the USA.

Question 1 - I am on a payment plan with the IRS to pay overdue taxes from the 2005 tax year. Will this debt follow me when I am deported? How can the IRS collect from someone that is deported and not allowed back into the USA?

Question 2 - Once deported, am I still legally obligated to file a 2006 US Tax Return.

Thanks.

LdiJ

Hi

Question 1 - I am on a payment plan with the IRS to pay overdue taxes from the 2005 tax year. Will this debt follow me when I am deported? How can the IRS collect from someone that is deported and not allowed back into the USA?

Question 2 - Once deported, am I still legally obligated to file a 2006 US Tax Return.

Thanks.
If you ever want the chance to come back to the US, it would be wise to pay the debt. Otherwise, its not enforceable unless your home country would enforce it.

You don't have to file a US income tax return unless you have US income. So if you have US earned income from 2006, you have to file a tax return.

irsos

Deportation

Hi

Thanks.
1. Unless you leave assets behind, the IRS will have no practical way of collecting what you owe. However, the statute of limitations on collections will theoretically stop running while you are not in the US. I say theoretically, because often the IRS has no way of knowing if you are out of the country and the ten year statute runs and they remove the liability from the IDRS System and stop trying to collect it.

2. If you were otherwise required to file - of course you are legally obligated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">