• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IRS Form 5695 Residential Energy Credits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

muckamuck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska

I'm in the 25% tax bracket. I installed a new boiler in 2009 at a cost of $12996. I received an Energy Rebate from the state for $8500. The state says this is income that will be reported to the IRS.

The IRS directions for Form 5695 Residential Energy Credits says:

"If you received a subsidy from a public utility for the
purchase or installation of an energy conservation product
and that subsidy was not included in your gross income,
you must reduce your cost for the product by the amount
of that subsidy before you compute your credit."

So if I compute my credit by subtracting the subsidy (12996-8500=4496 x 30%=1349) will I still have to report the $8500 as income?

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska

I'm in the 25% tax bracket. I installed a new boiler in 2009 at a cost of $12996. I received an Energy Rebate from the state for $8500. The state says this is income that will be reported to the IRS.

The IRS directions for Form 5695 Residential Energy Credits says:

"If you received a subsidy from a public utility for the
purchase or installation of an energy conservation product
and that subsidy was not included in your gross income,
you must reduce your cost for the product by the amount
of that subsidy before you compute your credit."

So if I compute my credit by subtracting the subsidy (12996-8500=4496 x 30%=1349) will I still have to report the $8500 as income?
Yes, because the state said that they would report the income to the IRS.

muckamuck

So if I include the $8500 in my gross income then I don't have to reduce my cost for the product by the amount of that subsidy before I compute the credit?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">