• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IRS Refuses to Pay Refund due to Disabled Person Late Filing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jagman

What is the name of your state?
NY and TX
Hello;

I was hit by at truck as a pedestrian and sustained numerous broken bones, internal injuries, and a “severe” brain injury. For a long time I was suicidal and had extreme problems with memory (no short or long term), emotional fluctuations, confusion, etc, etc. I still cannot multi-task, have memory problems, cannot function under stress, and get confused very easy. In 1999 I hired a CPA to help me with my taxes (96 to date). Initially he said he would file a return based on my (taxable) disability income. But when questioned later said that he was waiting for information from me. It took me almost 5 years to pull my material together and make any sense out of it and he filed my 96 return just a few months ago. I just received a form letter from the IRS saying that they are refusing my (sizable) refund because it was filed late.

Since my accident and release from the hospital I have received many form letters and threats from them and NY State (I had a small Sub S Corp in NY that went dormant after my accident) but never any replies to the many letters I have sent. When I was released from Intensive Care but still in the hospital I was receiving continuous correspondence from them “demanding” documents or money that was not due. They also say they have not received certified return receipt correspondence sent (and I have receipt postcards). Compared with dealing with them, learning to walk and talk again and “getting my brain back” was a piece of cake. I know of many brain injured survivors that have had similar problems with the IRS.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited:

laffnatu

Hey Jagman,
On the IRS.gov site there is a service offered called Tax Advocate. A friend of mine had trouble with this IRS this past year and the Tax Advocate was a big help.
Hopefully this link will help you. There is a toll free number to call on the site also.
Good luck!
IRS Tax Advocate

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">