• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IRS Scam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NA for this thread

As many of you may be aware, there is a serious telephone scam going on where people are being called by alleged IRS agents threatening them with fraud charges and jail if they do not immediately give debit card information to pay tax that they owe.

I am particularly concerned about elderly taxpayers who may not be using the internet and who may actually get scared enough to pay these con artists. So far over 1100 people have paid them to the tune of about 5 million dollars.

I am asking that everyone on here talk to the elderly people in their lives, warn them about this scam, and tell them to either not return the phone messages or to hang up on these people. Make them understand that it is a real scam and if they get one of these calls, they have nothing to be afraid of and should not give them any information at all.

tranquility

We've had a number of clients call with concerns regarding the scam. Out here, it seems there is a "911" spoofed number follow-up call soon thereafter allegedly from the police to tell them they will serve a warrant if the IRS does not call them immediately and tell then the tax is paid.

davew128

Had someone encounter this myself and I advised them to call the local sheriff's department and the District Attorney's office.

LdiJ

We've had a number of clients call with concerns regarding the scam. Out here, it seems there is a "911" spoofed number follow-up call soon thereafter allegedly from the police to tell them they will serve a warrant if the IRS does not call them immediately and tell then the tax is paid.
Our practice is getting at least two calls a day from clients who have received these calls. I am seriously concerned about the clients who may not call us. We have a large amount of elderly clients and some of them pay first, and check later. I really think its important that everyone talk to their elderly relatives and warn them about this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">