• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is ITIN state-dependent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

etrader

when an US resident make money on internet (or similar state-independent activities), the tax is calculated based on the tax rules of the state in which the Social Security is issued.

I want to know if this also applies to non-residents having ITIN ?

Is the initial tax statement led to ITIN issuing important on future tax dues of the person ?

davew128

when an US resident make money on internet (or similar state-independent activities), the tax is calculated based on the tax rules of the state in which the Social Security is issued.
Thats news to me.

Well given that your first comment was wrong.....

LdiJ

Is the initial tax statement led to ITIN issuing important on future tax dues of the person ?
State income tax is calculated for either the state where the taxpayer resides, or the state where the income is earned, (if different) or sometimes both. It has absolutely nothing to do with where the taxpayer's social security number was issued.

The same would be true for a US resident (legal or illegal) using an ITIN number.

For a non-resident (someone not living in the US) there would be no state income tax on income earned in the US, there would only be federal income tax, unless the taxpayer had a bricks and mortar business in the US.

An internet company located in another country, that shipped goods into the US and received payment, would not be subject to US income tax unless they also had a physical presence in the US.

etrader

State income tax is calculated for either the state where the taxpayer resides, or the state where the income is earned, (if different) or sometimes both. It has absolutely nothing to do with where the taxpayer's social security number was issued.

The same would be true for a US resident (legal or illegal) using an ITIN number.

For a non-resident (someone not living in the US) there would be no state income tax on income earned in the US, there would only be federal income tax, unless the taxpayer had a bricks and mortar business in the US.

An internet company located in another country, that shipped goods into the US and received payment, would not be subject to US income tax unless they also had a physical presence in the US.
Thanks a million for such an informative reply ... it helped me a lot :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">