• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

land problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jasmine101

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I reside in Pa, but the land in question is located in Charlotte County Florida.

In 1990 my mom and dad divorced and had a piece of land transfered over to me, my dad payed the taxes on the property till 1992. On the title that was given to me it had my mom's name on it and my name on it, it also had the address of where we were going to reside, since I was a minor my mom was to take care of the land till I was of legal age. In the mean time I wanted to sell the land in august of this year 2009, come to find out that Charlotte county says I still own the land but Sarasota county says that my parents lost the land to them because of taxes not being paid, so they apparently sent a certified letter to our Farmington New mexico address on sept 18th, 1995, the problem is I live in Pa now and I have never received a bill for the taxes for this land let alone the papers stating that the land was behind on taxes and they were putting it up for a sheriff sale to pay the back taxes. I know Charlotte county has my address of where I am residing now cause I requested a copy of the title to my land and it was sent to the address I m at now. I am really confused and I would really like some help with this problem please My mom has not talked to me in 2.5 years almost 3 and when my brother moved to florida my mom asked me if she could give my paperwork to my brother to check out the property, i said ok, when I asked her for it back she kept changing the subject and never gave them back to me. I have tried contacting my mom and the letters I have sent to her have been sent back to me refused. please help me and let me know what I can do, and do I have a case against my mom ? thank you Jasmine101 :)

Kiawah

You want to sue your mom for what? Not spending money on paying the real estate property taxes every year? You think that by someone giving you land, that she is somehow obligated to spend her own money to keep it?

That might have been a smarter financial thing to do, but no legal obligation to do it. She also could have tried to sell it, and if successful in selling it....take the cash and put it in the bank for you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">