• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lease Option Buyback write off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cowboy07

Oregon. I had to do a lease option buyback last year on my house. I have been paying the mortgage, property taxes and insurance since the contract started last Jan. 06. Does anyone know if I can write off the payments?

thx.

LdiJ

Oregon. I had to do a lease option buyback last year on my house. I have been paying the mortgage, property taxes and insurance since the contract started last Jan. 06. Does anyone know if I can write off the payments?

thx.
You need to see a local tax pro with your contract in hand. I would assume that if you are paying mortgage interest and property taxes those should be schedule A deductions for you, however, I would have to read your contract to truly understand what your "lease option buyback" really is before I could be certain of that.

LdiJ

thanks for your feedback. It was a 1 year contract with the option to buyback at 75% loan to value.
That doesn't really help. I know it ought to sound simple, but its not. Someone really needs to see the contract to help you.

Generally that sort of thing is a true lease until you exercise the option to buy. However, its possible that yours is set up as a true purchase contract. Again, you need to get a consult with a professional.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">