• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lien on property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tammara

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

When the IRS places a lien on the property of someone who is self employed, how will the IRS go about collection of unpaid tax?

Thank you for your time.

FlyingRon

If you're talking about real estate, they get first in line whenever there is a sale or foreclosure.

irsos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

When the IRS places a lien on the property of someone who is self employed, how will the IRS go about collection of unpaid tax?

Thank you for your time.
As has been said, they will be first in line for proceeds of a sale. In the meantime, they can levy your bank accounts, customers, retirement accounts, etc. You need to make arrangements with them to pay the tax. If you have not already done so, you need to make sure you are paying estimated taxes so the problem does not get worse.

Tammara

Yes, the lien is on real estate that belongs to a relative of mine. He is a contractor who does windows, decks, siding, etc. I doubt that he is paying estimated tax.

irsos

Yes, the lien is on real estate that belongs to a relative of mine. He is a contractor who does windows, decks, siding, etc. I doubt that he is paying estimated tax.
If he has a bank account and/or receives 1099's for his work, he is heading for some real misery if he does not get it taken care of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">