• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Ins cash value + taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

664hia

What is the name of your state? VA

I have an insurance policy on my life that is owned by my corporation. I am selling the corp but will keep the life policy and all cash value. If I change the owner of the policy to myself individually, are there any tax consequences I need to know about? The corporation usually paid the annual premiums, there is about $50,000 in cash value on a $500k policy.

tranquility

While it might be difficult to value, in an S-corp or LLC it would be a distribution and in a C-corp it would be a dividend.

664hia

Life insurance cash value

Thanks for the reply. This makes sense. However, what would be difficult to value? It would just be based on the current cash value amount, correct?

FlyingRon

While it might be difficult to value, in an S-corp or LLC it would be a distribution and in a C-corp it would be a dividend.
Or it could be considered income, or it could be considered part of the capital gain from the sale.

A CPA will help (not sure how you would sell a corporation without one anyhow).

LdiJ

Or it could be considered income, or it could be considered part of the capital gain from the sale.

A CPA will help (not sure how you would sell a corporation without one anyhow).
No, it would not be capital gain. Tranq answered the question accurately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">