• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Live in foreign country, but have US address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aconnally

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NM

I live in Mexico, but I have an address in the NM where I receive mail. I do not live at this address. I am self employed. None of my income comes from NM, but it does come from companies in the US.

A few questions.

Do I need to file a NM tax return? I have been filing as a nonresident, but since I don't have any NM income, I think this was incorrect to do. If I stop filing, but still use the NM address on my tax return, will that create a problem?

Will I be subject to US income taxes, or will the Foreign Income exemption apply? The services I provide are performed at home, where I live, so I assume I can use the foreign income exemption, but not sure how this applies to self employment/schedule C.

davew128

No reason to file a New Mexico return. Just be sure to use C/O on the address on your US return. We have no way of knowing what your US return will look like but any foreign exclusion only applies to income tax not self employment tax.

aconnally

thank you very much for that. all of my income is self-employment, so I assume I will have to pay that tax, then, since the foreign exemption doesn't apply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">