• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Live in House with Parents, who can claim tax deduction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

distag16

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I and my Husband live in a house with my parents. We did this to help them out as they are now in their 70's.
We make the house payments and property taxes. We are listed on the title with them, but not the loan. We have 2 other properties of our own we rent out and we claim those as rentals.

They are not filing taxes this year as they do not make enough to file. Can we claim the taxes and any interest on this property?

FlyingRon

Being an owner of the house obligates you to pay the taxes and if you pay them, you may deduct them.

Even though you are not technically liable for the mortgage interest, since it is secured by your home, the IRS will allow you to deduct it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">