• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Live in one state, taxed in another?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jchint

What is the name of your state? SD

I worked for a company where I was based in SD, but for a few months during the year I worked in MT. I drove up on mon. and back home on fri., so I never had a residence there. They started taking out MT state income tax from my checks. I have been doing this for a few years and when I asked my employer why they never did it before, they told me it was because they didn't "catch it" before. Can they do this and do I have to actually pay this tax?

Thank you in advance.

Snipes5

Yes. You will have to file as a "non-resident" of Montana, but you can claim lodging, per diem, mileage and other expenses associated with working out of state on a temporary basis.

Have a pro do it, it can get a bit complicated.

Snipes

racer72

Did you know it is not unusual for pro athletes to have to file tax returns in 15 to 20 states? When a pro football team such as the Seattle Seahawks play the 49ers in San Francisco, 1/16 of the players salary is considered earned in California. That's why they have agents and accountants to figure out their taxes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">