• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC and 1099 or W2

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbrichar

What is the name of your state? CA

I am one of three managing partners with 33% interest in an LLC that manages, buys, sells and develops real estate. We are currently in the process of forming this entity. I will need regular compensation as well for managing the LLC. I am also in the process of aquiring my RE Brokers license. The goal is to retain commissions in house from the cooresponding real estate activiites.

Should I choose to take 1099 income from the LLC and set up myself as a Real Estate Professional for the tax benefits or must I be a W2 employee?

Thanks

abezon

If the LLC is taxed as a partnership, all income is passed through to you & is subject to SE tax. No 1099 is necessary. If the LLC files the form to elect to be taxed as an S-corp, the corp pays everyone fair wages & files W-2s. The wages are deducted on the corp's 1120S. Remaining profits are passed through & taxed as ordinary income.

You really should have an accountant to work with & talk to about these things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">