• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC filing deadline?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandhyaepeter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Il

What is the tax filing deadline for an LLC? It appears that it is April 15th but I see several different dates being mentioned in various places.

Also my LLC did not make any profits in 2008 after expenses are deducted. I assume I still have to file a return? Do I need to go to an accountant or can I do the return myself? The business is really really small (in the hundreds of dollars, not even thousands).

Thanks for you answers.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Il

What is the tax filing deadline for an LLC? It appears that it is April 15th but I see several different dates being mentioned in various places.

Also my LLC did not make any profits in 2008 after expenses are deducted. I assume I still have to file a return?

Thanks for you answers.
If you are a single member LLC then you are a disregarded entity and you file a schedule C on your personal tax return. The deadline is April 15th. The losses from your business would either offset other income or be a carryforward.

If you are a multiple member LLC and you have elected to taxed as a partnership, you file for 1065 and the deadline is March 15th. The losses would then flow through to your personal return via a schedule K1 and be an offset for other income or a carryforward.

If you are a multiple member LLC and you have elected to be taxed as a C corp or S corp you file either form 1120 or form 1120S and your deadline is March 15th. If you are being taxed as a C corp the losses would be a carryforward and if you are being taxed as an S corp it would work the same way that it does for partnerships.

Therefore yes, you need to file even if you had a loss. Its to your benefit to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">