• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC paying another member-owned LLC rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ADLER

North Carolina.
Wasn't sure if this should go in Real Estate or Tax Law.
I have an LLC set up, where I am the owner. This LLC is for Ebay sales.
We'll call it LLC "A"
I would like to work on getting LLC "A" income to $0, or as close as possible.

I would like to purchase an investment property, and open a new LLC for real estate, we'll call it LLC "B"

Can I have LLC "A" pay LLC "B" rent on a monthly basis, thus reducing "A's" income, and also providing me with depreciation on an investment property, where I am the owner of both LLCs?

ADLER

I always like to answer my own questions, but according to the instructions for IRS form 1065: Line 13: Rent

"Enter rent paid on business property used in a trade or business activity. Do not deduct rent for a dwelling unit occupied by any partner for personal use."

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1065.pdf

so, it sounds like I should be fine since I won't be using the property for personal use....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">