• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC - Tax Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M&MDaddy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My wife..soon to be ex-wife is a 99% owner of an LLC with her mother holding the other 1%..we did this based on recommendation of an attorney. The thought was in Ohio you must have two Members to qualify for LLC status and I did not want to be a member for liability reasons. My question is, I have found out since going through documents that she was significantly under-reporting the business income, through not reporting cash transctions and by claiming expenses that were not valid and not business related. Her accounted gave us a single number for our joint personal return and now im concerned. How liable am I for her business filing if I am not a Member? Should I refile the last few year individually and pay the taxes? Also, to complicate things I'm having to hire a forensic accountant to determine her true income, my best guess and my attorney's is its probably double what she has stated.
Thanks for an advice

tranquility

You need to talk to a tax professional as the situation is very....convenient. While you can make a perfectly reasonable argument you had no idea and get relief from the IRS if they come calling, a more sinsister explination is that you knew and gained benefits from the reporting and you want to change that reporting now to gain advantage in property/alimony settlements.

You need a tax professional with access to the facts and the ability to talk with you (you might have your attorney hire the tax professional to keep attorney-client privilege on anything you say) to come to a determination of strategy in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">