• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Local Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elitefinders

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Have a situation. I've lived in a local area for 9 1/2 years where I just discovered I should have paid taxes each year. Prior to living in this area (county), I lived in the city where my employer took out the taxes & were paid when I did my federal taxes. When I moved I was totally unaware of my responsibility in this county in regard to paying local taxes. Soon after moving my parents became very ill and I took care of them for 7 of those 9 years. The only time I spent in my living space was to shower and sometimes sleep there. During this time my daughter was living in our space and going to college & stayed with her boyfriend most of the time, so the mail we received was put aside for the exception of basic bills; rent, utilities & etc. Anything else, she put in a box for me to eventually review. As a caretaker I took care of my parents & held down a full time Job, which is very stressful and demanding. Last year they both passed on, one after another it was devastating. When I returned to my home, I began to go through the mail & realized that this company had been sending letters asking on quarterly basis for me to send in my taxes. I did find out that this local municipality had not hired this company to notify the residents until 4 years after I moved into my apartment. Now I am stuck and want to start paying the current quarterly taxes , but don't know how to approach these folks to work out the back taxes.

Can anyone offer advise?

LdiJ

You would really need the advice of someone local about that. Its going to be specific to your county.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">