• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long term capital gains for corporations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mbrown36

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hello,

I own a registered C-corp in the state of MD. The corporation has been purchasing stock that of publicly traded companies for many years. In 2008 we sold some. Is there a lower tax rate for long term capital gains for corporations like there is for personal taxes? Or will the long term capital gains be taxes as regular income?

Thanks
Mike Brown

LdiJ

Hello,

I own a registered C-corp in the state of MD. The corporation has been purchasing stock that of publicly traded companies for many years. In 2008 we sold some. Is there a lower tax rate for long term capital gains for corporations like there is for personal taxes? Or will the long term capital gains be taxes as regular income?

Thanks
Mike Brown
It depends in part on the nature of the C-corp's business. You probably need a CPA to look over everything and advise you since its a C-corp.

irsos

Hello,

Thanks
Mike Brown
Except for an odd exception for timber held more than 15 years, capital gains of a corporation are taxed at normal corporate tax rates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">