• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Louisiana Estate Taxes 7 years after death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gumbogal

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

Our parents never made a community property settlement when they divorced in 1969 in Louisiana. Our mother died in 1998 in another state. We had no idea community property was an issue at that time. My siblings and I (we are all with one exception outside of LA now) are considering opening an ancillary succession in LA and having the estate enter into a community property settlement with our father. This is with his cooperation.

Back in 98, full LA estate taxes were still in effect. I understand that if you don't pay LA estate taxes within 9 months of the decedant's death, penalties mount up. Does the 9 months start with mother's death in 1998 or when the community property settlement may be filed?

We are looking for an attorney BTW. Just said "bye" to one. Couldn't get any returned phone calls or information after the first consult. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">