• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lump sum retirement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kittencat

Pennsylvania

I'm considering retiring from the state of PA with "full" retirement benefits in 4/06; however I will not be age 55 until 4/07. I don't understand why I can't delay receipt of my lump sum until 1/07 without paying the additional 10% federal excise tax. I would be retiring and receiving a monthly pension in 4/06 but delay receipt of the lump sum until 1/07. The 1040 section/question on this asks if you received a lump sum distribution and if I don't receive the lump sum distribution until 1/07 when I'm turning 55 in 4/07 then why would I be penalized now? Thanks.

Kittencat

See - this is the problem - I'm constantly getting differing opinions.

Abezon, WHERE does Congress say this praytell?

Snipes, what are you basing your answer on?

Thanks.

abezon

IRC 72(t)(2)(A)(v).

Because income is taxable in the year actually or constructively received.

Easy solution -- have your lump sum payment rolled directly into an IRA, so that no taxes are withheld. Withdraw it whenever you want. Pay a penalty if you withdraw before 59 1/2.

Easier solution -- keep working until you're 55. I take it the pension administrators give you a choice between lifetime annutity & lump sum upon separation?

Kittencat

Thanks - the "constructively received" makes a little more sense now. I really don't want it tied up in an IRA 'till 59 1/2. There's another section of 72T that says I can annuitize so much annually - draw on the IRA in other words before 59 1/2. Still trying to decide...

I will receive a lifetime annuity in addition to the lump sum.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">