• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MAJOR HEEELLLLP! inherited house-did I screw up?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cynthie

What is the name of your state? Georgia
Oy. My mother died in Dec. 2001. Her townhouse sold in April 2002 for $110,000. I thought I wouldn't owe taxes on it since (a) she'd lived in it for 5 of the last 5 years and (b) my total inheritance, including the townhouse, was under $250,000. Also, my brother & I split the $ from the sale of the townhouse.

Now the IRS says I owe around $80,000 because I didn't file for that year (no income, I lived off the sale)--I only have until Oct. 26 to straighten this out--what should I do???

THANKYOU!

anteater

Yes, you screwed up somewhere along the line.

cynthie said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia
Oy. My mother died in Dec. 2001. Her townhouse sold in April 2002 for $110,000.
Who actually owned the townhouse when it was sold -- your mother's estate, you, you and your brother?

I thought I wouldn't owe taxes on it since (a) she'd lived in it for 5 of the last 5 years and (b) my total inheritance, including the townhouse, was under $250,000. Also, my brother & I split the $ from the sale of the townhouse.
All pretty much irrelevant.

Now the IRS says I owe around $80,000 because I didn't file for that year (no income, I lived off the sale)--I only have until Oct. 26 to straighten this out--what should I do???
Get thee to an Enrolled Agent pronto!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">