• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Margin Interest Used to buy an LP units deductible to a non-itemizer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cdcdcdcdcd2001

I am a conservative investor who only buys dividend paying stocks. I do not have enough deductions to itemize. I would like my portfolio to be slightly leveraged. However, I do not want to received taxable dividends and have non-deductible margin interest. What if I borrowed on margin and purchased some units in a LTD Ptr like Cedar Fair, Buckeye Partners or Alliance Management? Would the interest deduction be taken on schedule E, or would it still be reportable on schedule A where I could not take advantage of it. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

T

Taxguy

Investment Interest is only deductible to the extent of investment income. It *is* a deduction from taxable income [ under §163],...not an adjustment to Gross Income.

Sorry,....no Schedule E. Its an Itemized deduction,...its INTEREST.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">