• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married but don't want kids to know!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shad0w99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

Hi there,

We are in a really strange situation. I got married in 2009, my spouse has been living with me for over 10 months now and is not employed. no income. My spouse is unable to work due to memory problems and other issues but is not under any medical care or anything. The marriage was essentially needed to save him. I don't want my kids to know we are married for lots of reasons. I have to provide tax return copies for my kid's college financial stuff. How can I do this? Can I just check "Head of household" and claim my spouse under dependents? Would it matter if I provided a different tax return copy for college? with my spouse name removed or stating I'm not married? I imagine they only care about if the numbers match for college financial aid and not if I'm married or not? I'm in a difficult position and any help regarding this would be really helpful.

Thank you

CourtClerk

So, you want to know if it wouldn't consititute fraud to submit something other than a true and correct copy of the tax return you are filing with the IRS to a federal financial aid agency? Am I getting this right?

Do you happen to be, by any chance, receiving alimony or spousal support?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

Hi there,

We are in a really strange situation. I got married in 2009, my spouse has been living with me for over 10 months now and is not employed. no income. My spouse is unable to work due to memory problems and other issues but is not under any medical care or anything. The marriage was essentially needed to save him. I don't want my kids to know we are married for lots of reasons. I have to provide tax return copies for my kid's college financial stuff. How can I do this? Can I just check "Head of household" and claim my spouse under dependents? Would it matter if I provided a different tax return copy for college? with my spouse name removed or stating I'm not married? I imagine they only care about if the numbers match for college financial aid and not if I'm married or not? I'm in a difficult position and any help regarding this would be really helpful.

Thank you
Your choices, since you are married, are married filing separately or married filing jointly.

Since your husband has no income, married filing jointly would produce a better result than ANY other option.

Its also honestly not wise to lie to your children about your marital status.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Another (legal) option would be to refuse to comply with the request for your tax return.

ecmst12

They will be upset that you lied and that they couldn't be there for the wedding I'm sure. But the longer you put off telling them the truth the more upset they will be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">