• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married filing jointly...or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keniz138

What is the name of your state?
Rhode Island

Under what circumstances is it better to file "married filing separately" than "married filing jointly"? My wife and I are not thrilled with our anticipated refund, and were wondering if we would get more $$ if we did not file jointly.

We both have large amounts of student loan interest paid that is currently limited by the mechanics of the worksheet.

We own a home that we bought this year.

If we filed separately, what happens with deductions? In other words, I assume that we cannot BOTH use the same itemized deductions....but do we split this amount? Or does one of us use it and the other one just use std. deduction?

LdiJ

keniz138 said:
What is the name of your state?
Rhode Island

Under what circumstances is it better to file "married filing separately" than "married filing jointly"? My wife and I are not thrilled with our anticipated refund, and were wondering if we would get more $$ if we did not file jointly.

We both have large amounts of student loan interest paid that is currently limited by the mechanics of the worksheet.

We own a home that we bought this year.

If we filed separately, what happens with deductions? In other words, I assume that we cannot BOTH use the same itemized deductions....but do we split this amount? Or does one of us use it and the other one just use std. deduction?
Its extremely rare for a married filing separately situation to work out better than a married filing jointly.

beezer137

Also, you can not deduct student loan interest when filing as married filing separately (as per IRS website, see FAQ regarding student loan interest)

Shay-Pari'e

beezer137 said:
Also, you can not deduct student loan interest when filing as married filing separately (as per IRS website, see FAQ regarding student loan interest)
Since this is a year old post, I'm sure he got his answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">