• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married filing Separate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scotty711

What is the name of your state? Florida
My husband and I are separated for over 1 year but not legally. Recently the IRS sent him notices for not filing tax returns since 2000. IRS informed him that they completed a tax computation based soley on his income....what is due for each year is UNBELIEVABLE. I also recieved a notice and was advised to file married filing separate which I will do ASAP.

My question is do I have any liability for his unpaid taxes if he does not file the requested returns? Can the IRS freeze any bank accounts that are jointly held? What about assets like the house which is only in my name? :confused:

abezon

If you do not file a joint return, you are not liable for his taxes. However, the IRS can grab any assets held in his name, including joint accounts. Time to split the finances!

scotty711

abezon said:
If you do not file a joint return, you are not liable for his taxes. However, the IRS can grab any assets held in his name, including joint accounts. Time to split the finances!

I have only one checking account that is a joint account which my paycheck is direct deposited twice a month; I submitted paperwork to change the deposit to one of my accounts. Can the IRS attach the house for his outstanding taxes; the deed and mortgage are in my name only?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">