• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married Filling Status

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alonzodf

What is the name of your state? California

I got married over 1 year ago Novmeber. My filling status was head of household, when I got married I changed it to Married status at my job and put her on my Insurance Plan and Dental. My wife owes the IRS money from 2000, and was to receive a refund in 2001 but has never filled that year. She has never worked since. My question is when I file my Taxes as married and use her Social Security Number are they going to go after me to pay her Taxes? Or is it possible to leave her off and continue to use Head of Household even though my W-2 says Married?

Thanks Alonzodf

Last edited:

Snipes5

It doesn't matter what your W-2 says. Yes, they will take any refund from a return on which she is listed as taxpayer or spouse, to pay back tax debts.

No, you may not file as HOH. That is only available to those who are unmarried, or can be considered so for tax purposes. That won't apply to you.

Go in to a professional and have her file her taxes for 2001. That year is expiring soon, and if she has a refund coming, she will lose it.

They will use it to pay the back debt.

Snipes

alonzodf

Married filing status

Thanks for the Information. So in other words if she owes I will owe also, what are the chances of making arrangements to pay the money. It is about 20,000 now with intrest and penelities, and should I go have her make arrangements to pay before I file my taxes. Will she now file as married or as head of household when she should have in 2000 and 2001. Thanks

Snipes5

If she owes that much, go see a professional.

Each year she files as she was that year. If she doesn't file 2001 by April 15 of this year, she will lose that refund.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">