• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married to illegal alien can i still file jointly?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

socal888

Hi my name is Joseph and i live in California. I am married and wasnt sure if i should file as married filing jointly because my wife doesnt have a social security number but she said that she always files her taxes using a special number that is so she can file but she cant get anything back because she's here illegally.

LdiJ

Hi my name is Joseph and i live in California. I am married and wasnt sure if i should file as married filing jointly because my wife doesnt have a social security number but she said that she always files her taxes using a special number that is so she can file but she cant get anything back because she's here illegally.
Your wife quite possibly has an ITIN number. That is a number that allows her to file a tax return despite the fact that she may not be a legal resident of the US.

If she has one, then you can file a joint return with her. If she doesn't have one, you can apply for one for her with your 2009 tax return. See a tax professional for more information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">