• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married last year but wife lives overseas. How to file for tax return?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sgomes4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Va

I got married January of last year 2012 and now my wife still lives abroad. She's never been to the U.S. but awaiting for an available visa at this time. I am trying to file my tax return as MFJ but my wife does not have a SS# or a tax ITIN #. How do I go about filing my taxes for this? I am using Turbotax online for this.

Thanks. Help is much appreciated.

OHRoadwarrior

Here is the appropriate publication. Please note, you must include and pay tax on her foreign earned income when filing jointly.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Va

I got married January of last year 2012 and now my wife still lives abroad. She's never been to the U.S. but awaiting for an available visa at this time. I am trying to file my tax return as MFJ but my wife does not have a SS# or a tax ITIN #. How do I go about filing my taxes for this? I am using Turbotax online for this.

Thanks. Help is much appreciated.
Besides reading the publication that the other poster provided to you, you are going to have to file a paper return unless your wife lives in Mexico or Canada. If she lives in either of those countries you can get an ITIN number for her, but this year's return will still have to be a paper return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">