• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married tax law /Back Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tequilaparrothd

I live in Ilinois and my child lives in Michigan. I pay regular child support monthly. I was out of work for a while and was unable to pay. I have a signifigant amount of back support owed. The sate of Michigan is currently taking my tax refunds to pay back support. I have recently been married. Now that I am married with a house. If we file joint can the state of Michigan legally take our refund?

How should we file if they can?

tequilaparrothd

tequilaparrothd said:
I live in Ilinois and my child lives in Michigan. I pay regular child support monthly. I was out of work for a while and was unable to pay. I have a signifigant amount of back support owed. The sate of Michigan is currently taking my tax refunds to pay back support. I have recently been married. Now that I am married with a house. If we file joint can the state of Michigan legally take our refund?

How should we file if they can?

Snipes5

Yes, all of it.

Your wife will need to fill out and attach an "injured spouse" form to your tax return this year. The IRS will determine how much of the refund is 'hers', and will send it to her, and will seize the rest.

Injured spouse claims can take as long as six months to resolve.

In the meantime, tell your wife to change her withholding so little to none of her tax is taken out.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">