• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maryland Sales Tax on Labor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kvforum

I am planning a wedding and our prospective venue gave us a quote where they listed Labor as a separate line item AND taxed it. I'm having a hard time researching whether or not that's legit. I've found this page on Maryland Sales & Use Tax:

http://business.marylandtaxes.com/news/taxtips/business/bustip07.asp

And it seems to imply that taxation is only required when new things are fabricated. When listed separately, repair labor is not taxable, for example. Unfortunately, it's not clear whether the labor involved in a wedding reception is taxable.

Seems to me like the answer is "No" because there is zero fabrication involved.

Thanks in advance for any clarity on this confusing issue!

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Labor is taxable except in certain circumstances. From the MD state taxation department page

Are all labor charges exempt?

No. The tax applies to fabrication labor charges. Fabrication or assembly labor charges are taxable even if the customer provides the materials.​

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">