• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical bills paid through a collection agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? va

my husband and i paid off about 10 outstanding medical bills that he had from previous years (before we met and were married). since we paid them all in 2009 can we claim these as "medical payments" on the schedule A itemized deduction schedule for our 2009 taxes?

thanks.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? va

my husband and i paid off about 10 outstanding medical bills that he had from previous years (before we met and were married). since we paid them all in 2009 can we claim these as "medical payments" on the schedule A itemized deduction schedule for our 2009 taxes?

thanks.
Yes, you may. However, you will only end up with an actual deduction for the amount that exceeds 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">