• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MI homestead property tax credit appeal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I received a "final determination" that my claim was denied because my household income was less than my reported living expenses. I have virtually no income, but I live off my own savings with no help from anyone. I am thinking they feel if I don't have an income, then someone else is paying my rent and they don't want me to get a refund if I did not pay the rent myself. I have been given a choice on how to appeal and I am asking which might be the better choice from someone who may know.

My choices are:

1. Informal conference with the Dept of Treasury
2. Appeal to the Michigan tax tribunal
3. Appeal to the court of claims

Thank you

justalayman

and you are likely correct in your assumption so when you showed them your income, your expenses, AND your savings balance and the withdrawals that made up the difference between your income and your expenses they still denied you?

and you are likely correct in your assumption so when you showed them your income, your expenses, AND your savings balance and the withdrawals that made up the difference between your income and your expenses they still denied you?
actually, this rejection from the treasury was in response to the form sent in as a 2008 1040X. I sent in similar forms for 2009,2010, and 2011 they were rejected but when I appealed with info such as you suggested for these years, the appeal was successful and I received the money. For some reason, this particular year (2008) was treated differently and was sent on a different path through the treasury. Do you know which option of the 3 I listed might be the best?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">