• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MI tax refund wrongfuly witheld?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfuss247

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? mi
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
My daughter filed her 2012 MI income tax in Feb 2013. She is a college sudent and made around $3000 in 2012. She was just above the limit to file. She had several thousand dollars in loans that year and the year before which she used for rent, bills and other living expenses in her campus apartment. The Michigan treasurer denied her refund of about $600 saying she only made $3000 and couldn't have afforded to pay the rent and heating bills she as claimed and said she owed income tax of $28. I sent back a reply including copies of her loan amounts, heat bills, rent bills etc. they said it would take 12 months to sort out so I paid the $28 to be safe. They replied with a request for her 1098 tuition and grant statement. They said a decision would take 12 to 18 months. On 8/28/13 they said she was entitled to a $167 property tax credit or she could continue her appeal with the hearings division.
I can't believe any of this, what a racket. Is there any other option besides waiting? Are we entitlted to interest? What else can we do?
HELP, PLEASE!
Thank you, cfuss247

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? mi
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
My daughter filed her 2012 MI income tax in Feb 2013. She is a college sudent and made around $3000 in 2012. She was just above the limit to file. She had several thousand dollars in loans that year and the year before which she used for rent, bills and other living expenses in her campus apartment. The Michigan treasurer denied her refund of about $600 saying she only made $3000 and couldn't have afforded to pay the rent and heating bills she as claimed and said she owed income tax of $28. I sent back a reply including copies of her loan amounts, heat bills, rent bills etc. they said it would take 12 months to sort out so I paid the $28 to be safe. They replied with a request for her 1098 tuition and grant statement. They said a decision would take 12 to 18 months. On 8/28/13 they said she was entitled to a $167 property tax credit or she could continue her appeal with the hearings division.
I can't believe any of this, what a racket. Is there any other option besides waiting? Are we entitlted to interest? What else can we do?
HELP, PLEASE!
Thank you, cfuss247
You are entitled to nothing. You are not a party to the issue. YOU should not be representing your daughter in this unless you are an attorney. You cannot make demands or negotiate with the tax authority on her behalf.

tranquility

I am uncertain about the problem, but there really isn't much that can be done but wait for the system. Does your state have a taxpayer advocate or ombudsman? Sometimes communication with them can speed things a bit.

davew128

You are entitled to nothing. You are not a party to the issue. YOU should not be representing your daughter in this unless you are an attorney. You cannot make demands or negotiate with the tax authority on her behalf.
I am going to disagree only insomuch as a family member can be designated on a tax power of attorney to perform those acts and I will ALSO state for the record that it is insulting to insinuate that only an attorney can represent a taxpayer before a taxing authority. Obviously absent a signed POA, OP has no business involving herself.

justalayman

On 8/28/13 they said she was entitled to a $167 property tax credit or she could continue her appeal with the hearings division.
HELP, PLEASE!
Thank you, cfuss247

Interest on what? Your $28 you sent in less than 6 months ago? Probably not but what the heck, go ahead and make the demand. It is probably no more than what they charge the other way around which is 5% so, 5% on $28 for, and we'll stretch it to the full 6 months comes to a grand total of $.70. I'll send you a coupon for a cup of coffee from McDonalds to cover that if it is acceptable to you.

Does the $167 tax credit mean she has no further tax liabilities or is that an actual amount that would be refunded to her? If the latter, seems like the answer is simple but if you want to continue the argument, have at it.

cfuss247

Interest on what? Your $28 you sent in less than 6 months ago? Probably not but what the heck, go ahead and make the demand. It is probably no more than what they charge the other way around which is 5% so, 5% on $28 for, and we'll stretch it to the full 6 months comes to a grand total of $.70. I'll send you a coupon for a cup of coffee from McDonalds to cover that if it is acceptable to you.

Does the $167 tax credit mean she has no further tax liabilities or is that an actual amount that would be refunded to her? If the latter, seems like the answer is simple but if you want to continue the argument, have at it.
No, interest on the orig return amount of $560. The offer of $167, I believe , is a buy off attempt. They stated that if I do not accept the $167 the case will be returned to the hearings division and remain on appeal.
By the way, I just asked my dad to help me with this since he filed my returns and knows the issue better than I.
So thanks, but no thanks Ohiogal...
As far as McDonalds goes, give it to Ohiogal
I thought this was a site where I could get some help, not smart ass, concieted comments. Thanks to those who answered seriously.
I'll consider this thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">