• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mileage/1099

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

who81

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hi Guys, need a lot of help. I have an amendment to file for 2011 and need to file for 2012 on a 1099. Mileage for two years in 83,000 on vehicle in question how do I determine what each year is? Should I split the mileage in half or what is best suggested? Also can I write off a gun and laptop, I bought a gun Jan 2012 before my 1st tripto the border for work as I am 24/7 call no hotel/no mancamp. Can a laptop be written off for a certificate online program?
Thanks in advance. I may have more questions and you may have some me. Thanks...

I am an oilfield electrician. I drive rig to rig ....between Texas and New Mexico and currently working in Midland 6 hours from home.

Last edited:

tranquility

Good thing you have your contemporaneous written record to know for sure! The IRS loves those.

Otherwise, what is your adequate records or sufficient evidence of business miles? (How long is your jobs at these places? Over/under a year? Do you have a regular place of business?)

I don't think the laptop is required by your employer, so would not be deductible--even if the certificate was required.

who81

I do not work out of the office. I have been a sub-contractor since Aug 29th 2011, I do not work out of any office. On a daily basis I drive 200-500 miles to a rig. Do my work 12-18-24 hours and drive back. Some days I work less hours and fit in two rigs a day. I also drive for parts. I am on 24/7 call. The rigs gets charged my mileage so I have some added up but I spend about 100 or more a day in gas so I am not sure if I should go by mileage or my gas reciepts. I do not have about two months of tickets with mileage on it. Still looking for those.
I can only add the miles between my home and Midland when I go home if get days off.Couple days a month. Before Midland I drove to each rig. In Midland(West Texas) I stay with other sub contractors. When I work in South Texas I stay at home. I knwo this is confusing to people not in this lifestyle so I dont mind any questions.

Last edited:

who81

I am sure I am missing some reciepts but I got most of my postage, vehicle maintenence, work clothes, FRC's, I only added up food for being in w Texas not when I am able to go home.Tools, etc

tranquility

If the rigs are "charged" mileage, does that mean you get compensation for it?

Personally, it seems like with the amount you're looking for, it would be worth your while to see a local tax professional with experience in similarly situated workers.

who81

The rigs are charged Mileage. Yes. I do not get reimbursed my gas. I am going to see one or I am sending my wife. I am never home. I just need to be prepared.

who81

1.50 if I do tech work. If dont do tech work. Nada. So do I deduct 1.50 off of mileage based on 14,000, 20,000 and 21,500? End up w a balance. And what does IRS pay per mile?

tranquility

See a tax professional. I don't know if you get a mileage deduction. Not only are you making ballpark guestimates as to which is which, the miles you are compensated for are well above mileage rates and some should be included on your W-2 as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">