• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mileage deduction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edintexas

I live in Texas.
My company recently transferred me to another office 60 miles from my home.
No relocation allowance was offered.
No company car was offered, I use my personal car.
They don't pay me mileage or tolls (the office is only accessible via a tollroad).
Can I deduct any of my mileage, tolls or wear and tear on my vehicle?
Thanks

edintexas said:
I live in Texas.
My company recently transferred me to another office 60 miles from my home.
No relocation allowance was offered.
No company car was offered, I use my personal car.
They don't pay me mileage or tolls (the office is only accessible via a tollroad).
Can I deduct any of my mileage, tolls or wear and tear on my vehicle?
Thanks
Sounds like you're commuting. You can't deduct mileage for a commute. Not positive about the tolls, but I doubt you can deduct them.

--PARIDISE-- said:
Yes, you can deduct for tolls.
Deduct tolls incurred during what is clearly a commute to work? Possibly, but I kind of doubt it. If you could deduct the tolls then you would also seem able to deduct the mileage, which you cant.

Shay-Pari'e

That's odd, my tax guy deducts our tolls and our miliage.

I missed the miliage part.

Your wrong Paul our whoever you are.

I don't know if everyone can, but I know we do.

Snipes5

If the transfer is permanent, and he is only driving back and forth from home to work, there is no legal deduction available, period. It's called commuting.

The only deduction available would be the mileage between one work place and another, if working at both places in the same day.

It doesn't matter how long he's been doing it, it's still wrong.

Snipes

Shay-Pari'e

Snipes,

We do our taxes the legal way, and my husband does not work at both locations.

Apparently you can deduct if it is temporary,(under a year), and hubby's work crew has moved 4 times in the last 5 years, so I guess thats how we can.

Therefore the poster should look into this as she could deduct this year.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">