• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mileage Deduction for an S-Corporation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

valterra

What is the name of your state?Nebraska

I run a small business that I registered as an S-corporation
for liability concerns. Looking ahead to tax time, I pulled
up form 1120S, and can't find a place to write off my
mileage! I know exactly where to find it on a 1040,
schedule C, but I don't see any indication on the 1120 family
of tax forms.

I have no employees. 100% of the profit/loss falls onto me.
Is there a separate form for S-Corp's mileage? Do I need to
also file a schedule C? This is a big issue because I have
a lot of mileage this year.

Thanks in advance! I've gotten lots of advice on this website,
just haven't had to post a question until now. I've had a real tought time finding the answer to this one!

Last edited:

Snipes5

Actually, there is another place to put mileage on a form 1040.

It goes on form 2106, which carries either to Schedule C if you're a Sole Pro, or to Schedule A (miscellaneous deductions subject to 2%).

So you put your employee business expenses, including mileage, on form 2106 and carry it to the A.

Snipes

valterra

Avoid the floor

Snipes5 said:
Actually, there is another place to put mileage on a form 1040.

It goes on form 2106, which carries either to Schedule C if you're a Sole Pro, or to Schedule A (miscellaneous deductions subject to 2%).

So you put your employee business expenses, including mileage, on form 2106 and carry it to the A.

Snipes
Any way to avoid the floor? I mean, with my previous business venture, (LLC), I could write off 100% of mileage. I chose S-Corp for liability reasons only. Would I have to have the Corporation reimburse me? I'm obviously trying to avoid the whole issue of salary because I want the profit / loss to just fall back onto my personal return (easiest).

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

abezon

The mileage expenses go on the 1120S as "other expenses" -- include an idtemized list. This assumes the corp either paid the car expenses directly or that you billed the corp & received reimbursement before 12/31. Hint, hint.

You can't really avoid the issue of salary. Not paying yourself a salary is one of the biggest triggers for an S-corp audit, since the IRS will assume you're trying to avoid paying SE taxes on the profits. As long as you report the net profits on a schedule SE, this shouldn't be a problem.

valterra

Wish they WOULD pay me!

As an employee, I would LOVE to earn a salary. Problem is that the company isn't making a profit. ;-) I see on 1129 that there's a space for "Other Deductions (attach schedule):" You're saying Schedule means itemized list. I thought they meant Schedule as in Schedule A, etc.
Am I right that I have to roll my 8829 (household) expenses into the next year because I won't show a profit? Can I carry those over year-after-year until I do? If that's the case, this poor little company is going to really struggle, nudge nudge.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">