• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military medical separation taxed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommiemara

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OhioMy husband was medically separated from the Army mid 2008 due to a injury sustained during a training accident. He was inover 8 years so we recieved a substatial medical separation payout. They taxed this at 28% but I keep hearing this money is tax exempt. Weshould have our W2 by the end of the week and I'm trying to find out if we should not have been taxed on thi money and what route we take to recover the money. Thank you very much

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OhioMy husband was medically separated from the Army mid 2008 due to a injury sustained during a training accident. He was inover 8 years so we recieved a substatial medical separation payout. They taxed this at 28% but I keep hearing this money is tax exempt. Weshould have our W2 by the end of the week and I'm trying to find out if we should not have been taxed on thi money and what route we take to recover the money. Thank you very much
If the military withheld taxes on it, then its almost guaranteed to be taxable income. The military is quite good at getting things right.

However, get yourself a consult with a local tax professional, preferibly someone who has experience with military medical separations (a local office near a military base, for example, rather than one of the national firms).

mommiemara

Well no I read that if the discharge was the result of injury sustained wile on duty it was tax exempt. See the thing is they with hold your VA money till you pay the severance back because of double dipping or something. So they with hold VA till you pay the whole severance back but VA is tax exempt. See where this whole thing is odd. Lol asto the military being good at what they do I in the last 8 years have seen them screw up sooo much paperwork wise its rediculous. They have messed up my husbands on many occasions to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">