• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missed filing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wanna know

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

Due to hospitalization in 2007 the last thing on my mind was filing my taxes. As a result, after time I just plain forgot. I only work part time and always get a refund anywhere from $900 to $1,100.

Is it too late to file?

Will there be a fine?

OHRoadwarrior

Any unpaid money will be assessed a fine and penalties. If, as you claim, they already have the money and actually owe you, everything should be fine if you include all your documents and file by mail. Please note, you have missed the 3 year deadline to get the money back. The IRS consider it an excess collection.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Any unpaid money will be assessed a fine and penalties. If, as you claim, they already have the money and actually owe you, everything should be fine if you include all your documents and file by mail. Please note, you have missed the 3 year deadline to get the money back. The IRS consider it an excess collection.
That is mostly correct, with some nuances.

If the IRS thought that s/he would have owed any money (assuming that s/he was not self employed, with no 1099s) then they would have already attempted to file a tax return for her for that year, before the three year mark, based on the info that they received from outside parties. Since we are talking about 2007, and assuming that that the OP has filed taxes since then, I think its safe to assume that no taxes are owed.

You are completely correct that it is too late to file a return for a refund at this point.

There is no reason, at this point, for the OP to actually file a tax return unless it is necessary for some other purpose. Now, if the IRS DID file a tax return for the OP, showing a balance due which would have been incorrect for the OP's situation, then yes, the OP should file an accurate return for that year. The OP won't get any refund that might have normally been due, but it would eliminate any balance due if an accurate return reflected no balance due.

There are no penalties for late filing a tax return that would have resulted in a refund.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">