• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money from grandparents for a house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

specialforces27

Hi, I live in Utah and my grandparents, who live in norway, are kindly giving my wife and I $20,000 to put a down payment on a house. They are ready to transfer the money to my bank account, but I told them I'd have to find out what the tax issuses are beforehand. Anyone have any idea what kind of tax issues I should be worried about here, or how they can transfer the money, i.e. in small increments so that it doesn't become taxable or whatever?

Thanks!

ShyCat

Their gift of $20,000 is not taxable to you. Whether or not there are tax implications for your grandparents would depend on Norwegian law. Your lender will probably insist on receiving a "gift letter" from your grandparents confirming that the $20,000 is indeed a gift and not a loan.

specialforces27

Thanks!!

Thanks for your reply! So would it be best for them to just transfer the money to me and provide a letter, or perhaps just have them transfer the money to the lender? Thanks!!!

ShyCat

They should transfer the money to you. Your lender will have to tell you what they require in regards to the gift letter. It may be a form letter that they provide and your grandparents would have to fill out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">