• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money Market Gain?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CheetoMcNeeto

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I had around $10k in a money market account. This money market was created for me when I was a child, so it was in my dad and I's name. In early 2012, my dad's name was taken off of it. I then took the money out of the account and put most of it in various stocks through a financial consultant and a small portion I used to buy silver coins. That money market account grew considerably in the last 25 years.

My question is this... For tax purposes, how do I report this as income? I usually use TurboTax and do my taxes myself. But I'm confused as to how to report this money market account. Further, I have yet to get a statement telling me how much gain I had as a result of pulling that money out of the account. Should I be expecting one?

anteater

A money market account produces interest that would be taxed annually. The financial institution would have reported the interest on Form 1099-INT.

Depending upon what was done when in 2012, your Dad may have received the 1099.

LdiJ

A money market account produces interest that would be taxed annually. The financial institution would have reported the interest on Form 1099-INT.

Depending upon what was done when in 2012, your Dad may have received the 1099.
Assuming that OP is correct that it was a money market account I agree. Somebody has been paying the taxes annually on the interest income...most likely the OP's dad...and quite likely that is what happened in 2012 as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">